To develop good alignment with the cut-out pass and work on passing and catching technique.
One ball in each group.
Five in each group.
15m x 50–100m.
Players are arranged in a mini backline of five players. The ball is with the end player.
The first pass is thrown as a cut-out from Player A to Player C.
Player C then throws a short pass back inside to Player B.
Player B then throws a cut-out pass to Player D, who in turn passes the ball back inside to Player C.
Player C then throws a cut-out pass to Player E. When the ball reaches the end of the line, the end player throws a cut-out back to Player C.
The drill continues back across the line.
• Players receiving the ball must accelerate onto it so that all other players are on side.
• Players being cut out should have their hands up and look as if they are receiving the ball.
• All players should always be in a position to receive the ball i.e. players must always be behind the ball.
• The speed of the ball through the hand is important.
• All players should work on running straight for the duration of the exercise.
VARIATIONS / PROGRESSION:
The length of the pass can be increased or decreased depending on the skill level of the players.